In this post, you will:
- Learn what makes a resume/CV effective
- Become familiar with three different resume formats
- Increase awareness of the most common sections of a resume
- Being creating an initial resume draft.
What is resume/CV?
- Comes from the French, meaning "summary"
- Provides a quick summary of your experience, skills and abilities
- Also a marketing document, when you think about marketing a product you need to know three basic things:-
- What are your skills, experience, abilities?
- What is the nature of employer's organization?
- For what type of position are you applying?
- The more you know about the employer and position, the better you can decide which of your skills and experiences are relevant.
- A tailored document
- Written for a specific audience
- No longer than one page in length
- Free of typos or grammatical errors
- Uncluttered and contain a balance of white space
- name and contact information
- objective statements
- Related coursework
- Technical skills
- Most frequently used
- Most effective when you have had uninterrupted work in the same field to which you are applying
- Organized in reverse chronological order
- List your most recent experience first - Both paid and unpaid experience can be included
- Consider including: intern-ships, related part time or summer jobs; officer or leadership positions; long-term, related volunteer positions
- Are brief summaries of what you accomplished in your positions
- It is not necessary to list all of your duties
- For your initial drafts, consider including everything you can remember about positions - these Will be tailored for specific positions.
- Are initially concise - Do not include words like a, or,the an
- When writing your phrases, start with a past tense, active verb:
chronological resume template
chronological resume sampleChronological resume 2(.doc)
reverse chronological resumeChronological resume 3(.doc)
- Favourite among college students
- best used if you are entering a job market for the first time
- Emphasizes SKILLS
- Places titles at the bottom of the resume
- Combination format is easier to write when you:
- If you have job target and have written a complete objectives statement, you will have already selected two or three skills to highlight for the employer
- These skills become the section headings for the Experience section of the Combination format resume
combination resume templateCombinational resume 1(.doc)
combination resume sample
- Very similar to combination format
- Does not include position titles
- Best used when re-entering workplace after along absence
functional resume template
functional resume sampleFunctional resume 2(.doc)
How to submit a resume professionally
- Increasing numbers of employers prefer resumes be submitted electronically